Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The doctor is in

The day I got my first pair of Doc Martens in high school was a very big occasion. I picked them up in a little store in Greenwich Village on a school trip to New York City. They were purple, and I was in love. My second pair I found at a shop in Birmingham, Ala. They were blue square-toed boots and I was no longer in love, just in like. The infatuation had faded, and very soon it would fade for the rest of young America, as Doc Martens became a memory, much like "Singles" and my old flannel shirts. I'd been reading that the British standbys were on the verge of a comeback, but it was still pretty shocking to see this pair at www.freepeople.com. I'm thrilled, though I don't think it's possible to do a trend the second time around. If you want to give it a try, they'll work perfectly with the short floral dresses on the way for spring. And don't forget the Pearl Jam.

No comments: